How to become a yoga teacher in India – Are you interested in yoga but not sure where to start? Are you looking for information about career opportunities in the field of yoga instructor? Then, this article is a must-read for you.
Yoga is a Hindu philosophy that preaches the importance of experiencing inner peace by effective coordination of one’s mind and body.
- Nowadays yoga is a prevalent practice among individuals in India as well as abroad.
- In India, every year June 21 is celebrated as International Yoga Day.
- Increasing flexibility and concentration, controlling emotions effectively, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are some of the benefits of practicing yoga every day.
- Yoga relieves stress and increases the flexibility of the body and mind.
Scope of a yoga teacher in India
Yoga has a great impact on our lives in the present situation. It enriches the essence of human beings.
That is why many individuals seek a full-fledged career in this field. Yoga teachers are professionals having a thorough knowledge of the science of meditation and yoga.
Yoga teachers have high demand not only in India but also abroad. Yoga helps us to improve physical as well as mental health.
Yoga practices comprising Physical postures or Asanas and breathing exercises such as pranayama offers body fitness. Hence, the significance of yoga and yoga teachers are increasing at a global level
Courses you have to pursue to become a yoga teacher
|Course Type||Name of the course||Duration||Eligibility|
|Certificate Course||Certificate Course in Yoga (CCY)||45 Days||Completion of Higher Secondary Education|
|Bachelor Course||Bachelor in Arts (Yoga Philosophy) UG. Diploma in Yoga Education||3 Years 1 Year (Internship 6 Months)||Completion of Higher Secondary Education with minimum 45% aggregate Graduation from a recognized university with a certificate in Yoga|
|Master Course||PG. Diploma in Yoga Therapy Master of Arts in Yoga||1 Year 2 Years||Graduation from a recognized university Graduation from a recognized university|
|Advanced Level Course||Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Course in Yoga (AYTTC)||30 Days||Certificate, Diploma or Graduation in Yoga and 2 Years teaching experience|
career as a Yoga teacher
Career opportunities for yoga teachers are increasing day by day. After completing yoga courses, you can work as a yoga teacher in various health clubs, yoga studios, special attention centers, and private gyms.
You can also give personalized yoga classes at the comfort of your home through online platforms.
Numerous governments, as well as private institutions, provides job openings for yoga teachers but the current trend is starting one’s own yoga center after becoming a yoga instructor.
Yoga has its own significance in various areas such as research, management, medicine, academics, administration, and consultation.
As per the government norms, it is mandatory to have a yoga teacher in each school.
Benefits of a yoga teaching career
- A unique non-traditional career choice: A career path in yoga is not a traditional one. You can learn a lot of things. Choosing yoga as a career will rejuvenate your body and soul.
- Overcome physical challenges: Yoga teachers help others to maintain their physical and mental health and motivate them to overcome any physical challenges by practicing yoga in everyday life.
- Boost self-awareness: Yoga has the power to boost your self-awareness and helps you to deal with negative emotions such as hatred, envy, ego, and anger. When you stay away from such negative influences, you will be able to set clearer life goals and you could achieve them effortlessly.
- Travel around the world: As a yoga teacher, you will get enough opportunities to travel the whole world as great Yoga teachers are always welcomed abroad. Countries such as the USA, UK, France, and Germany are always on the lookout for great yoga teachers.
- Attractive salary package: Yoga teachers enjoy great remuneration for their services and in the initial stages, they sometimes earn more than their peers as the niche of Yoga is very demanding and great Yoga teachers are quite hard to find these days.
The job role of a Yoga teacher in India
- Plan and execute courses & lesson plans related to yoga sessions
- Understand the requirements of participants and adapt to the suitable style of teaching that would be beneficial for the participants
- Evaluate the fitness level of participants and design strategies accordingly.
- Explain and demonstrate yoga exercises to participants and help them to carry out the same effectively
- outline safe practices in yoga and recommend across-the-board yoga programs for various participants after assessing their needs and necessities.
- Scrutinize the performance of participants and recommend ways of improvement.
Salary Structure of a yoga teacher in India
The average remuneration of a yoga Teacher in India is between INR 10000 to INR 25000 per month.
The salary package for yoga teachers differs with the context in which they associate themselves in their careers.
A general estimate of the salary of yoga teachers in India is as follows
|Context||Salary (In INR)|
|Yoga studio/Fitness center||25000-50000|
|Freelancer personal trainer||8000-120000|